Happy New Year!
Everyone at Oliver Lamps hopes you and your loved ones had a fabulous Christmas and that you’re enjoying a safe and peaceful start to 2021 (although, now the UK’s back in lockdown, it feels less like a new year and more like Groundhog Day!)
Still, even though most of us are currently stuck at home wondering which box set to binge-watch next, it hasn’t stopped a lot of people we know from coming up with a few New Year’s Resolutions. Believe it or not, some of them have even got all their New Year’s Resolutions completed already:
- Go to the gym every day (whoops, can’t do that, what a shame, leave it ‘til next year)
- Spend more time with family (whoops, can’t do that, make a note to look at it again after Easter when we’ve had our vaccinations (hopefully))
- Wash hands more regularly and sing Happy Birthday more often (already doing that: BIG TICK 😊)
At Oliver Lamps, we’ve made some New Year’s Resolutions too, and we think they’re a lot more useful than the three we’ve just listed.
So, here they are. Give them a read and see if you agree.
1: Save More Energy and Become More Eco-Friendly
Last summer, a study commissioned by Princes Fish revealed that a third of UK households became more eco-friendly after the first lockdown. The changes those households made weren’t big, uncomfortable-to-stick-to ones, either. They were just small changes that quickly became great habits, like:
Only filling the kettle with as much water as they really need (31%)
Turning electrical appliances off at the socket (27%)
Washing clothes at lower temperatures (22%)
And can you guess what No. 2 on the can-do list of Brits who’ve become greener was?
Turning off unused lights!
Believe it or not, the countrywide cost per annum caused by UK households leaving their lights on after they go to bed is £1.32 billion! That means, simply by flipping a switch, you could save yourself over £280 a year and significantly help to reduce the number of extra carbon dioxide emissions that are damaging our planet.
Doesn’t that sound like a New Year’s Resolution everybody should be adopting?
2: Save More Money
What’s one of the best ways to save more money?
Replace your energy-guzzling incandescent bulbs with energy-saving LEDs!
15% of the average UK household’s energy bill is spent on lighting.
If you replaced every incandescent bulb in your house with an LED bulb, you could save around £40 per year on bills and cut your energy costs by £75 over the bulb’s lifetime. Even if it cost you £100 upfront to replace all your existing bulbs with LEDs, that’s still a massive saving. Also, a traditional incandescent bulb only lasts around two years (based on three hours’ daily use) whereas an LED bulb used under similar conditions lasts for ten years or longer.
As far as New Year’s Resolutions go, that sounds like a no-brainer, doesn’t it?!
3: Save the Planet
Listing all the reasons why we should do everything we can to save the planet would make this blog longer than ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ (and with a lot fewer wizards!) so here are just two reasons to get you started:
- Climate change isn’t just a problem for future generations, it’s a problem we’re facing right now: key climate-stabilising systems are already beginning to fail. When they do, vast quantities of carbon dioxide and methane will be released and push global warming to the point where humans and other species on our planet won’t be able to cope.
- Levels of greenhouse gases (including carbon dioxide, methane, ozone, nitrous oxide and water vapour) are already too high. Because greenhouse gases stop radiation from escaping into outer space, the Earth’s surface and atmosphere are gradually overheating. This will cause higher sea levels, more severe weather, and increased air pollution. Ultimately it will have a disastrous effect on all life on this planet.
So, how do you save the planet?
We’ve already listed a few ways in New Year’s Resolution No.1: Save More Energy and Become More Eco-Friendly, but there are hundreds of more things you can do including:
- Buying LED light bulbs
- Switching to a utility company that generates at least half its power from wind or solar energy
- Ensuring your home is adequately insulated, and draughts are efficiently sealed off
- Reducing water waste
- Avoiding disposable plastics
- Using more energy-efficient appliances
Want more ideas? https://www.earthday.org/ is a great place to start.
4: Save More Time
Sticking to this New Year’s Resolution will be as easy as falling off a log (or, to be more accurate, falling asleep on the couch while your smart tech does all the hard work for you.) Using smart home technology like video doorbells, wireless security cameras, and colour changing LED lighting you can control through an app (or Amazon’s Alexa) and even control remotely when you’re not at home won’t just save you more time, it will make life safer and more convenient too.
So, get this New Year’s Resolution started now! At Oliver Lamps, we stock a fantastic range of smart tech that will improve your world and leave you free to focus on the more important things… like watching The Queen’s Gambit again.
5: Keep Life Simple
This is the easiest New Year’s Resolution of all! For all your home lighting, business lighting, and smart tech needs, come to Oliver Lamps! Even though our shop is currently closed due to the COVID lockdown, we’re still open for orders and restricted deliveries, and if you phone us, email us, or contact us via our website or Facebook page we’re always happy to help. For those lucky people who live in or close to Fakenham, we’ve moved as much of our stock as possible into our shop window, so make sure you take a look when you’re enjoying your daily exercise along Oak Street! Otherwise, simply contact our friendly team on 01328 855028 or [email protected] and we’ll do the rest!
Stay safe, stay smiling, and see you again soon, everybody!